Texas Democrats believe government exists to achieve together what we cannot achieve as individuals; and government must serve all people. A representative democracy is only truly representative if every single citizen is guaranteed the inalienable right to vote in fair and open elections.
EQUALITY & FREEDOM
Texas Democrats believe in equal opportunities and freedom for all human beings no matter a person’s race, disability, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic or immigration status.
Texas Democrats believe in a fair criminal justice system serving all people; robust public and higher education opportunities are critical for our future; and our economy must benefit all Texans.
A HEALTHY TEXAS
Texas Democrats believe healthcare is a right; women's rights are human rights; we owe future generations a clean and healthy planet; and a strong social safety net creates opportunity for all Americans.
PRINCIPLES OF THE TEXAS DEMOCRATIC PARTY
Texas Democrats believe democratic government exists to achieve as a community, state, and nation what we cannot achieve as individuals; and that it must serve all its citizens.
We believe every Texan has inalienable rights that even a majority may not take away:
the right to vote;
the right to fair and open participation and representation in the democratic process;
the right to health care; and
the right to privacy.
We believe in freedom:
from government interference in our private lives and personal decisions;
from discrimination based on race, ethnicity, national origin, disability, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or any other improper grounds;
to exercise civil and human rights; and
of religion and individual conscience.
We believe in responsibility:
that religion and individual conscience can never serve to excuse hatred and discrimination;
that people are responsible for their actions;
that we, who have benefited so greatly from our state and country, have a responsibility to support and give back to all our communities and public institutions; and
that corporations are not people and should not be used to shield individuals from the responsibilities of their actions.
We believe in equal rights:
guaranteed in Section 3 of the Texas Bill of Rights;
equality under the law guaranteed in Section 3a of the Texas Bill of Rights; and
that no state may deny any person equal protection of the laws or due process under the law as guaranteed in the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
We believe in equal opportunity:
to receive a quality public education, from childhood through college;
to find a good job with dignity;
to buy or rent a good home in a safe community;
to breathe clean air and drink clean water; and
to have our voices heard and not be drowned out by the power of unlimited money to influence or buy elections and legislation.
We believe a growing economy should benefit all Texans:
that the people who work in a business are as important as those who invest in it;
that every worker should be paid a living wage of at least $15-an-hour;
that good business offers a fair deal for customers;
that regulation of unfair practices and rates is necessary;
that the burden of taxes should be fairly distributed;
that government policy should not favor corporations that seek offshore tax shelters, exploit workers, or pollute our environment; and
all people, including those with disabilities.
We believe that our lives, homes, communities and country are made secure:
● by appropriately staffed, trained and equipped military, law enforcement and emergency services;
● by retirement and pension security;
● by responsible gun ownership;
● by encouraging job security where it is possible and providing appropriate assistance and retraining when it is not;
● by the preservation of our precious natural resources and quality of life;
● by ensuring that families have easy access to good food with clear understanding of the food quality and source, so they may make informed decisions on their family’s health and well-being;
● by compassionate policy that offers a safety net for those most vulnerable and in need; and
● by family values that are promoted through policies that value all our families.
We believe in America:
● made stronger by the men and women who put their lives on the line when it is necessary to engage our military to secure our nation; and
● made more secure by competent diplomatic leadership that uses the moral, ethical, and economic assets of a powerful, free nation to avoid unnecessary military conflict.
We believe in Texas:
● made stronger by the individual strengths of our diverse population;
● blessed with opportunities provided by agriculture, “old” and “new” energy sources, renowned medical and research institutions and high tech industries;
● and we believe in the need for an honest, ethical state government that serves the public interest, not the special financial interests of those who “pay to play.”
Texas Democrats believe that a healthy democracy is based on free, fair, and transparent elections; that our constitutional right to vote should be protected at all costs by elected officials who exhibit ethical public service.